Supporting all children to become lifetime readers and writers!
Here are the Comprehension Strategies we use:
- Activate Prior Knowledge - What do you already know?
- Make Connections - What do you have in common with the text? Does it remind you of other texts or other world events?
- Predict - What will happen?
- Question - What do you wonder about or what questions come to mind as you read?
- Visualize - What pictures are created in your mind?
- Infer - What do you know even though it is not stated?
- Summarizing - What are the main ideas and important details? Retell.
- Determining Importance - Identify, infer and remember what is most important.
- Synthesis - Did what you read and what you know five you new thoughts or ideas?
- Use of Genre - What is your purpose for reading? Use print features, pictures and graphic aids.
- Self-Monitor or Clarify - Reread, check, question or self-correct and idea to make sense.
St. Charles Community Unit School District 303